“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Friday, May 1, 2009

"Incontinence" & Me

From the, "Well, ain't that some shit?" Dept.:

During my "Live Friday" days at KPSU, I brought in a large number of bands of various kinds, shapes, and sizes, and was lucky enough to be contacted one of the people in The Grannies, who happened to be coming through town and also happened to want to play. While very much in the Supersuckers / Turbonegro vein when it comes to what they do, I was surprised to find that, in many ways, they were one of the more professional (and punctual!) bands I worked with, and aside from my sound man that week treating the band like crap, I thought we had a pretty great show. Afterward, I sent them a copy, then started preparing for next week's band. I hadn't really thought about them much since, except when an occasional song by them came up when I was shuffling through music.

Then, the other day, the music director at KPSU asked me if I wanted to review their new CD, "Incontinence: Outtakes & Demos 1999 - 2008." I have to say, I was hesitant; outtakes & demos are often such for a reason, and unless I'm an obsessive fan of the group, I rarely go for these kinds of albums. (Same for live records; unless it's as good as "Live And Cuddly," which is the album against which all live albums are measured, there's just no reason to go there.) However, this one had a curiously titled track: "KPSU Interview." Sure enough, the liner notes say it all: "Nov. 4, 2005 by Mr. Austin Rich. Portland, OR." Holy shit. That's me! This changes everything!

So, despite my usual policy in such matters, I now unapologeticly urge you to pick up a copy of this CD. It includes a lot of cool cover songs (Vibrators, New York Dolls, Supersuckers, T. Rex, ZZ Top, Misfits, & Mono Men), original compositions that didn't make the albums, and a live interview by yours truly. The CD is available via Wondertaker Records (home of Jack Endino's latest endeavors, among other things), and can also be found for download at all the usual locations online. I promise, they are not paying me to plug this; I do it of my own free will, provided that getting a free copy of the album does not count as payment, and provided the horrible vile things these guys are threatening to do to me if I don't still counts as "free will."

No comments:

Post a Comment