“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Intentionally Scary Encounter?

My yoga class got canceled today, which meant I had a little more free time on campus today than I thought I would. So, I thought I'd find a place near where my next class was to sit and read, but was feeling a little antsy, and decided to explore. My next class is on the second floor of Neuberger Hall, which is the "art" floor, where the Autzen Gallery was. So, I thought I'd poke my head in to see what was showing.

First, the show that was up was for something called The M.O.S.T. I won't even try to explain it, except that you might want to check it out if you're into, uhm, office art? Well, not really. Bureaucratic art? Sort of. Art art? Maybe. Anyway, it was there, and I really liked the rubber stamp collection.

It turned out, though, that the artist in question (Katy Asher) was giving an impromptu tour to various PSU folks, which seemed somewhat official, so I tried to stay out of the way and just look around. However, Harrell Fletcher was also part of this group, and really creeped me out by calling me (by name), and asked me what I thought of it all. I've met him one other time, when I attended a talk he gave about the work he's done over the years. (He and I got into a coversation about living next to schools where the neighbors all complained about the fact there was a school there.) I figured he not only wouldn't remember me at all, but since I wasn't connected to anyone at the show (or him, for that matter), he would have no reason to talk to me. Apparently not.

I tried my best to answer his questions, but he kept looking at me in a way that made me feel like I wasn't giving the right answers. (Despite the fact that I knew there weren't any.) I suddently started to feel really self-conscious about everything, like, perhaps I wasn't supposed to be there. I started to notice that everyone's eyes were on me, now, really listening to everything I said. It was really uncomfortable, and then Katy started to grill me, too. I quickly made an excuse to leave, and went to the third floor to hide out until my class started.

However, with hindsight, I wonder: was that part of the art show?

1 comment:

  1. so freaking cool. and i mean REALLY. ps, MOST is awesome, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete