“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

An Old Addage

At 9 AM today, over breakfast, I ran into a large, very young, co-ed group of nursing students. They were hammered. Their conversation went along these lines:

1.) Whom Had Slept With How Many, And Which, Of Their Classmates
2.) Rage Over The Behavior Of Certain Classmates (Probably Related To #1)
3.) Rage Over The Behavior Of Their Teachers
4.) Inarticulate Yelling At Each Other, Followed By Sudden Extreme Silence
5.) "Dude, Fuck! Fuck, Dude!"
6.) The Women Calling The Men Assholes, The Men Calling The Women Bitches.
7.) "I Am So Wasted."
8.) Discussions About What Homework They Hadn't Done, And How To Overcome That.
9.) Sudden Realizations Regarding Who Had To Go To Work Later That Day.
10.) Etc., Etc., Etc.

When I finally got up to leave, they proceeded to point and laugh at me, then called me over so they could take a look at me. (I was wearing a bow tie, a dress shirt, and a suit jacket with a few buttons attached.) They then looked to each other for a consensus regarding the next bar they would go to.

When I used to drink a lot, occasionally I would run into an older gent who would make the observation, "I hate drinking holidays, because it brings out all the amateurs." I feel like I never fully understood that statement until this morning.

3 comments:

  1. I believe #3 could very arguably also relate to #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am delighted that you are really coming into your own as a crotchety old man, my friend. You and I were already most of the way there when we were, like, 23, and I think it's clear we've both gotten better with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel: good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

    KFR: I feel an incredible urge to listen to "The Kids All Suck" by The Problematics. Then again, I almost ALWAYS have the urge to listen to The Problematics, if only because it's the greatest band name ever.

    ReplyDelete