“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

As Usual: Weird Not Strong Enough

The last year seems so strange to think back on. So much has happened, in my own life and in the world, and it's hard just to say, "Another year older and wiser," and let this one slide on into the wealth of time past that only vaguely informs us in the here and now. Of course, there's no reason to dwell on it, either. 2008, in many ways, was just the cream of the shitty-year crop. There hasn't been a year like this since 1997, a fucking terrible vintage year if ever there was one.

There are times, though, when it all seems like a dream, one that you're waking up from to find that things are different, that there is a future to look toward that will be drastically different, no matter what past experience says. My inclination, though, is to follow the advice of a certain song from The Twelve Chairs: "Hope for the best / expect the worst." It just seems like a more reasonable expectation.

But that's neither here nor there. I have a new job, year, & school term on the horizon for January. I have new friends in my life and new interests and ideas that will hopefully carry me through one more time.

I can only hope that this time around I remember to smile more, and take more pictures.

1 comment: