“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Suggestions

As someone raised in the later half of the 20th Century, I have come to realize that I am all left feet in the kitchen. I am often embarrassed by the things that I prepare to eat because the rarely take on any of the qualities of "food," and being someone who has an antagonistic relationship with eating anyway, I often wish I could fall back on a Food Pill of some kind. In recent years, I have become dependent on cheap thai alternatives, basic potato 'n' egg breakfasts, and a burning desire to spend a little time in the kitchen as possible. It's not that I don't like eating, but more to the point, I think I would appreciate it more if I only had to do it occasionally. Most of the time, I stave off hunger by eating the bare minimum anyway, longing for a way to combat my own biology by tricking it into thinking I've actually consumed something.

Now that I am the proud receiver of Food Stamps, and can no longer rely on the kindness of cheap take-out and food carts, I need to hone some skills in the kitchen. Fortunately, I can follow recipes fairly well, and given enough practice, can even make some of them edible to people who are not willing to live on the diet I have become comfortable with. I would even like to possible expand my personal menu, as the handful of meals I do know how to make I am rapidly tiring of. It is my hope that developing a cooking technique is a new trick that you can teach and old, lame, blind in one eye, stubborn dog.

So, I turn to you for a simple request: what is your favorite meal, and how do you prepare it? What should I be stocking up on at the market, and are there any kitchen tricks that have proved useful to you? As someone who has avoided picking up any culinary expertise in the last 20 years, every little bit helps. I've got pancakes and rice down pretty well, and frozen vegetables already make regular appearances. I would love to learn how to make something that more closely resembles an actual meal, rather than something to merely tide me over.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Not sure if this will tempt your tastebuds, but I have a great fondness for this recipe Ransom made up. Mostly because it's really easy to make, but it's healthy and tastes good too.

    Spinach and black bean soup

    2-4 cloves garlic
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can black beans, rinsed
    1 bag or bunch of spinach
    Some olive oil

    In a large pan or shallow pot, or whatever else you have lying around, sautee the garlic in some olive oil (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) over medium heat. When the garlic starts to brown, throw in the black beans and chicken broth. Bring it to a simmer and throw in the spinach. Simmer the whole thing for 10-15 minutes, or at least until the spinach has cooked down a bit.

    It's good by itself or served over rice. You can also add onions in with the garlic to change up the flavor a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say I have been a SLOP eater for years...rice(from a rice cooker)
    and a can of chili (chili beans will also due) and put it over the rice...
    add some cheese if you like and would go right along with tomatoes and/or avacadoes! dare you crunch up fritos on top of that?? I dare you!! nothing to cook at all if you invest in a rice cooker..and let me tell you..that is some good SLOPPY EATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds like something I would eat, and like, on a regular basis. And, look at that, Mr. Roommate has a rice cooker. Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The five course pill from willy wonka would probably be better for your health but I do not like blueberry pie too much.Maybe they will perfect this(in the future of course).

    ReplyDelete