“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recipe Request

I am all left feet and thumbs when it comes to the kitchen, and anyone who has seen me try to prepare food can vouch for how scary it is to see me go. This doesn't seem to extend only to cooking; on at least two occasions I have managed to get unusual sounds and smells (and water) to come pouring out of my dishwasher by merely putting soap into it and turning it on. I noticed that food tends to go bad just by opening the fridge, and somehow I manage to get more grounds and water outside than into the coffeemaker.

While there's little I can do about the kitchen (as a whole) rejecting my efforts, I can at least start to atone for this by learning a few recipes well enough so people will stop laughing at me when I reach for pots and pans. I seem to have gotten the hang of cornbread in a box (my roommate helped me reduce the number of ingredients and cooking instructions), and I've found that I'm not entirely terrible at baking a potato. (Provided someone else is around in the house to make sure I don't burn anything down.)

These are both tremendously useful things to know how to cook, but also somewhat limiting when considering the possibilities that cooking has to offer.

My question becomes: what are some good beginner recipes that help ease a person into the kitchen? I finally live in a house, with an actual kitchen (instead of an apartment kitchenette with barely enough room for one person), and I would like to finally get around to using it. I know (in the past) people have suggested looking at the Inter-Web-A-Tron for that kind of stuff, but I find that a little daunting when it comes to this kind of research. When you can find anything and everything at the click of a mouse, I've found that you often don't. Plus: call me old-fashioned, but it means more when people you know make the recommendation.

So... food me. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment