“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Monday, March 16, 2009

Agreeable Sounds

If you're lookin' for some new music to get you through the tail-end of winter, might I recommend the bands I saw last night during one of the rare times I actually left my house:

Hearts And Minutes: My friend Tristan told me he was morally apposed to bands who don't all live in the same town, which only turned him off of this band more given that one member each lives one Portland, LA & Oakland. I have to say I was a little lukewarm on the beginning of the set, but as they kept playing they got better and better. That's an interesting tactic when you play live: save all your good songs for the end, and give them the slow lame ones to start with. Still, they piqued my interest enough to pick up an '09 Tour CD, and I'll report back if my opinion improves.

Moment In Static: Comprised of several of my friends (and one roommate), it's hard for me to think of another band that loves Don Caballero as much as these guys. Certainly the draw when you see 'em live is their drummer and their singer / percussionist / Korq player, who dance and move and kid and look like their having more fun than just about anyone you know. They seem to be obsessed with '80's cover songs (Devo, Gary Numan, Wire), but the covers are generally strange and deconstructed, and more to the point, their original material is much, much better. The name is probably the only thing (anymore) that I'm not sold on... yet.

The Jezebel Spirit: I used to work with one of the guitar players for this band, and their first CD, Turtles All The Way Down, was pretty awesome (and epic) instro-rock with the emo turned all the way up. They're still just kids, but they totally get it, and seem pretty stoked on the music they play. I didn't get a chance to stay for the whole set, but I did pick up their new CD (Remember... Always obey, you'll live longer than way), which (like thier first CD) is one continuous performance, broken into "suites" (or tracks). They're playing at the Know pretty soon, so check 'em out if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment