“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Connections

It's always good to have friends in nearly every sphere of human existence, but sometimes those connections atrophy, leaving you with no access to, say, free day-old donuts, or the inside scoop on the next cool things going down in town (like, another bike-in movie theater in PDX, location and dates open TBA).

It hasn't been since I worked in the book mines back in the late '90's / early 2000's that I had a decent (and reasonably-priced) book connection, and while school has given me more than enough to do with regards to textual interfacing, I missed the joy that comes with acquiring new, inexpensive leisure-time books. (I have yet to find any joy in the academic past time of acquiring old, extremely-expensive and difficult-to-get-through books.)

Fortunately, one of my old roommates has scored a job at a warehouse sorting books for an amazon.com bookseller. (One of the independent sellers that uses the amazon.com interface to hock their wares.) This has been a two-fold boon for my friends and I: he has a paying job to keep a roof over his head, and we all get to rummage through his "Free Books" box every time they have a party.

I managed to walk out of a party with Libra by Don DeLillo, a cool '60's edition of The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, and the Autumn 1972 issue of a really crazy academic journal called Horizon, which includes essays on "How Man Invented Cities," Michelangelo Antonioni's "L'avventura," and the life of Machiavelli.

Which worked out great for me; normally I leave a party feeling like I've lost something.

(P.S. If anyone's parents were academics and had a subscription to Horizon - or just happened to collect them in the '60's and '70's - I would very much be interested in working out a trade for back issues. Please and thank you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment