“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Friday, February 18, 2011

Avatar Updates

Off to the left of this here Blog, you'll find two new widgets that direct you to content on Twitter. Yes, I've finally joined the club. As it turns out, I had no real idea what Twitter was, or how it worked, and my vision of it involved kids 15 and under using it. More specifically, I misunderstood the function entirely. I knew people made posts, but I had a hard time wrapping my brain around why that was a big deal. Somehow, I had gotten the impression that there was more to it. When I signed up for an account, and started poking around, I realized it was like Facebook, only stripped down to a short Status Update. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Point being, I've actually gotten quite into using Twitter, and it has sort of become my new creative outlet at a time when I can't really invest more than a few minutes at a time. Plus, it has given me an opportunity to promote my radio going-ons, and remain quite entertained by reading a variety of other users. One revelation that I've been shocked by: the average age of Twitter users. This is a much older crowd of Inter-Web-A-Tron users, and there is a decidedly different tone and flavor to the content than I initially suspected. I entirely rescind every Twitter joke I've ever made. (Though, to be fair, I have defended it a fair amount, too.)

I do recommend looking at the KPSU search I added as a widget to the right. It gives you an overview of everything KPSU related that gets posted to Twitter. Also, check out #justgotonthebus and #bandideas, two tags I'm trying to start, as they are both things I think about quite a bit anyway. This will not replace blogging, writing, or radio in terms of things I love to do. But it is a good way to stay creative while I'm wrapping up things for my Undergraduate degree, which eats up far too much of my time.

Lastly: I will be slowly moving away from using Facebook, until I reach the point where it will be entirely for Radio / Art posts. Not only have I had a long-time love/hate relationship with FB anyway, I have come to terms with the fact that it just isn't my style. The recent hack to my account (partially my own fault) helped me realize that I just don't want to put the time into it. Everyone has to grow up sooner or later, and FB will mostly likely wind up like MySpace too, once there's something newer and hotter. So, time to start moving away from it.

I'll still be here, and in all the other usual places. And who knows, perhaps there is something else even more exciting just around the next bend. That's a guaran-tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment