“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Friday, May 28, 2010

Social Networks

This morning I tried to clear out my Facebook account as best as I could, and deactivated the account. This has nothing to do with privacy issues, or anything like that; people can find out anything about other people very easily, and at any time they want, without Facebook. It has now become another (powerful) tool for people who are interested in Privacy Invasion, but is not the end all be all of those kinds of problems.

Furthermore, it is next to impossible to even deactivate an account. Deactivated accounts are still there, and can still be accessed, Googled, etc. Your friends can still see the remnants of your account, and still send you messages, and still contact you. Facebook also doesn't allow you to remove from your account your e-mail, full name, and a number of other elements to your account. And at any time I can "reactivate" my account, merely by logging in. No fuss, no muss. I might as well have just stopped using the account, for all the good it has done.

But again, that's not the point. The point is: I'm tired. I'm over it. I just don't have the energy anymore. I am not hard to find or contact, and already have a presence on the web anyway. There is no lack of leaving a footprint online.

I'm just sick of the crap, sick of this world, sick of the way people treat each other within it, and find that all of those problems and difficulties are amplified through Facebook. I did fine without it for most of my life, and would rather not have to be burdened with yet another thing I feel like I need to do every day.

Goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    I only just deleted my MySpace account, and went to do the same to my Friendster account, only to find that I apparently already did?

    Facebook is next. Not sure when I'll make the jump. I only check it about monthly as it is... But I do see it more as a privacy thing. I really don't conduct any social business there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The irony, of course, is that I have done this before, and got sucked back in, too. I really hope this one sticks. I should have realized the mistake I was making, but I didn't think much of it at the time, and now I realize I should have. So it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can delete it. go here, it tells you. thats how i deleted mine. http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-Delete-a-Facebook-Account

    ReplyDelete