“Prolix Logorrhoea, and how!”

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Get Lobed! (Radio Version)

While I can't exactly say that there was a new episode of Blasphuphmus Radio this week, I can offer you the next best thing: an extended, two-hour version of What's This Called? with very special live guests! It's two hours of radio of the young and mysterious. Ob-soive:

What's This Called? w/ Frontal Lobe Development, LIVE!
Hour 1
Hour 2
(Featuring a live performance by Frontal Lobe Development, featuring Roosevelt High School students and local experimental artist Daniel Menche)

Playlist & Footnotes.

Daniel has been playing around the northwest since 1989, but has always performed as a solo artist. He met Sean (16), Magnus (11) & Edwin (18) at the school he works for, who were already trying to form a metal band of their own. They all joined forces, and the rest is history. I was lucky enough to run sound for them today, which involved the first time I mixed 2 iPhones (one for drums, the other for effects) with live guitar & vocals. All in all, it was a really amazing show.

I would also listen for a recording of Daniel conducting the Roosevelt High School Choir, which includes the straight recording, and a cut-up and remixed version, too. This may be one of the most unique musical offerings I've been involved with at KPSU, and I'm really happy to have participated.

And, from the, "While We're At It," Dept.: News Just In:

I just discovered that an older release of Derek M. Johnson (a cellist who has been featured on Unwound recordings, collaborations with Deerhoof and other amazing artists, as well as his own solo efforts) features a recording I made! How cool is that? The release is called Cello Sampler, and contains an excerpt from his live performance on What's This Called? from September of 2006. I have no idea if this was ever officially released, how many were made, and what the availability of it is, but I have to say I am very happy. I'm a fan of his stuff, and that makes it all the more amazing. Thanks Derek!

Hopefully that covers all the bases. Hang in there. Without you, there would be no show.

See ya in seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment